History

 

St. Philomena Parish has a strong familial relationship with our two closest neighbors. Built by the Sacred Hearts Fathers as a mission of St. Elizabeth Parish in Aiea, its mission was to serve the Catholics in Damon Tract, a one-time residential area that is now the industrialized zone around Honolulu International Airport.

In 1942, James J. Sweeney, the first bishop of the newly established Diocese of Honolulu, established St. Philomena as a new Parish independentof St. Elizabeth’s. Eight years later, in 1950, part of St. Philomena Parish would be separated to become the newly formed Holy Family Parish.